Table of Content:
- Why is streaming terminated?
- What exactly is the CPU requirement?
- TellyTuner.exe process is still running after TellyServer exited.
- Why does TellyServer detect the ATSC tuner(s) but can not use it?
- Is Windows Server 2003/2008/2008 R2/Home Server supported?
- Why does TellyServer list multiple tuners but I only have one tuner installed?
- Why does TellyServer keep streaming even after InstaTV exited on iPhone/iPad?
- When streaming over the Internet, what is the best video profile I should use?
- Why is video pixelated and audio is stuttering?
- Why is video pixelated and audio is stuttering but it was totally fine last time on the exact same PC?
- How do I stream over the internet?
- Is TellyServer password protected from unauthroized use?
- InstaTV is streaming the wrong channel.
- Does InstaTV support streaming over 3G?
- Channel scan did not find any channel.
- Program guide is completely empty.
- I have missing program guide entries.
- What about QAM (ClearQAM/CableCard) support?
- TellyServer can't detect HDHomeRun Prime. Is there any option need to be set?
Q: Why is streaming terminated?
A: This may happen for a number of reasons:
- Bad signal reception due to bad cable connection or bad weather. To verify this, use a different TV viewing software and check if the video/audio is smooth without any issue.
- Another client changed channel.
- Another application is using the same tuner device. Check if there is a scheduled recording running at background. If a network tuner (e.g. HDHomeRun) is used, check if another computer is using the tuner.
Q: What exactly is the CPU requirement?
A: Video encoding is very CPU intensive. A Passmark score of at least 1000 is recommended. This is roughly equivalent to a main-stream desktop CPU in 2007, for example, an Intel Pentium Dual E2160 1.80GHz or an AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+. We have tested CPU has a score of 600 with the lowest video quality profile: encoding sometimes lags and causes pixelated video or stuttered video.
CPU Score Suggested Profile Best for 600~699 256x144 700~799 320x180 800~999 480x272 iPhone 3G/3GS, iPod 2G/3G 1000~1199 512x288 1200~1399 640x360 1400~1699 848x480 1700~1899 960x544 iPhone 4/4S, iPod 4G 1900~2000 1024x576 iPad 1, iPad 2 2200+ 1024x576 Extreme
As a general rule, when streaming from TellyServer and when other applications are not doing anything significant, system CPU usage should be consistently under 80%. If the CPU usage is higher than 80%, then the CPU might be too slow.
Q: TellyTuner.exe process is still running after TellyServer exited.
A: This is usually caused by the tuner's device driver. Try to get and update with the latest driver directly from manufacture's website, even through such driver might not be WHQL certified,
Q: Why does TellyServer detect the ATSC tuner(s) but can not use it?
A: If you installed tuner and Windows automatically install a driver for you, try download and install the latest driver directly from manufacture. We have seen multiple times that the driver Windows automatically installed isn't really usable by any TV application, including TellyServer.
Q: Is Windows Server 2003/2008/2008 R2/Home Server supported?
A: No, Windows server editions are not supported. Even if tuner driver may be installed successfully, server editions still lack of essential multi-media components to work with any TV tuner. However, there are various hacks available that involves copying system files from consumer version of Windows (XP/Vista/7) to server version. Note that such hacks have not been tested by us. See bda4server
Q: Why does TellyServer list multiple tuners but I only have one tuner installed?
A: A single ATSC tuner may be able to receive both Over-the-Air signal as well as cable signal. Depending on the brand/model of tuner, it may be listed as two separated device by Windows. TellyServer only supports Over-the-Air ATSC for now.
Q: Why does TellyServer keep streaming even after Telly exited on iPhone/iPad?
A: This is an optimization to avoid re-buffering the video in case user re-launch InstaTV shortly. After InstaTV exited, TellyServer will keep streaming for 3 minutes. To stop immediately, click the Shutdown button on TellyServer.
Q: When streaming over the Internet, what is the best video profile I should use?
A: Assume the Windows PC is power enough to support all video profile, which video profile to use depends on two criteria:
- Upload limit of your home Internet. ADSL/Cable Internet usually have a uploading limit of 64KB/s (512 Kbps)
- Download limit on iPhone/iPad. For public WiFi hotspot(restaurant/library/office/air port), download speed could vary greatly.
Q: Why is video pixelated and audio is stuttering
A: This is usually caused by two reasons:
- The Windows PC is too slow to do real time video encoding. Reduce the video profile may help. See this FAQ for more information.
- Signal/Reception is too weak. This causes video encoding process to receive incomplete data.
Q: Why is video pixelated and audio is stuttering but it was totally fine last time on the exact same PC?
A: This could be caused by high DPC Latency after installation of certain software/hardware. To verify this, run DPC Latency program to check if the latency is under 200us. If there are lot of red bars, try to restart the PC or remove the software/hardware just installed. Unless the red bars are eliminated, InstaTV is unable to streaming video properly. Get DPC Latency.
Good DPC Latency:
Bad DPC Latency:
Q: How do I stream over the internet?
A: Usually, for a home/small office environment, Port Mapping need to be done in order to access your computer from internet. The instruction varies and depends on the brand/type of router. Please see here. TellyServer uses port 22202 by default, but this can be changed in setup page.
Q: Is TellyServer password protected from unauthroized use?
A: This feature is not supported yet.
Q: InstaTV is streaming the wrong channel.
A: ATSC Channel number changes occationaly. Simple re-scan channel to solve this problem.
Q: Does InstaTV support streaming over 3G?
A: This feature was removed as a result of AppStore review. It will be improved and it will be available in a future verion.
Q: Channel scan did not find any channel.
A: This may be caused by various reasons but you can try the following:
- Update the tuner driver to latest from manufacture's website. Do not use the one installed automatically by Windows
- Restart Windows and try again.
- If any Video/Audio codec pack is installed to support playback of other popular format (mkv, mp4, etc), uninstall the codec pack and try again.
Q: Program guide is completely empty.
A: After initial start, TellyServer will try to collect OTA EPG after 10 minutes. If the initial collection succeeded, TellyServer then collects OTA EPG every 4 hours. So just left the tuner idle for a while, you should be able to see program guide appearing.
Q: I have missing program guide entries.
InstaTV currently uses Electronic Program Guide (EPG) data provided by broadcaster and the data is embedded within the tv signal. It is free of charge but it's sometimes incomplete. Even though broadcasters are technically able to provide up to 12 days of event information, they usually choose to just provide 1~3 days of information. Some of the information are even meaningless ("DTV Program"). In a future release InstaTV will support the popular XMLTV format.
Q: What about QAM (ClearQAM or CableCard) support?
TellyServer currently has the following restrictions:
- Only ClearQAM is supported. For CableCard QAM, TellyServer is able to work with channel that are marked as copy-free.
- Only video stream will be listed by TellyServer. Audio only stream (usually radio) will be ignored.
- Only unencryped video will be listed by Telly.
- Only Windows Vista/7 supports ClearQAM tuning.
Q: TellyServer can't detect HDHomeRun Prime. Is there any option need to be set?
TellyServer works only with ClearQAM channels. If TellyServer failed to detect HDHomeRun Prime tuner, open "HDHomeRun Setup" utility on Windows PC, then goto "Application" tab, and make sure "Main Application"" is set to "ATSC/QAM". After the change, shutdown TellyServer and restart it. It should be able to detect HDHomeRun Prime tuner.